Monday 19 January 2015

Into the Winter Woods

Hello everyone - what a chilly weekend it was, and this cold snap has certainly continued today.

Yesterday, after running all the usual errands, DH, DD and I went for a brisk walk in our local Outwoods.  As always there was plenty to see and enjoy.

Walking into the woods it was lovely to see the old trees...


Bare branches against a pale blue sky...


I wondered who had carved this star into the trunk of this tree, and why...


Looking across the empty fields...


A sprinkling of snow on the dead leaves...


Loving this pale, washed out landscape, so familiar yet ever-changing...


The rangers have been busy clearing some of the trees...


Looking wintry...


The air was full of the scent of wood smoke from the charcoal burner, such an ancient tradition alive and well...


I loved how this venerable old tree frames the landscape...


and was amazed to see how this cross section of a felled birch tree forms a heart shape!


Then back home again to work another few, soothing rows of this Winter Woods lap blanket, I am so pleased with how the colours seem to closely match those in the photos I took on my walk, exactly the look I was after!


Another few rows should see me ready to add the border. 

Hope you are keeping warm and cozy!

Helenxx

10 comments:

  1. Your blanket is coming along so nicely Helen. You chose beautiful colors to represent the season. My favorite picture is the heart shaped tree trunk. So pretty.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos and the afghan is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your winter woods photos.. it looks similar here. I *love* the colors in your little blanket.. I look forward to seeing more of it.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the virtual walk. The heart shaped tree is great. I wonder what the person who chopped it down thought, and did they take a piece of the tree home? Your blanket looks lovely
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to be away from that cold for a short while! Love the blanket ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. B E A U T I F U L photos! I think walking in the winter woods is very relaxing. Now we have a REAL winter here, snow and cold!
    Your blanket is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blanket is looking lovely and just the right colours. That heart-shaped tree trunk is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is the beauty of winter, bare branches....and a bit of frost! (I'm still ready for spring though!) :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that heart shaped tree trunk is amaizing.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the woods in winter, and your photos capture them so beautifully here. Love the heart shaped picture. Wishing you a happy weekend...and keep cosy :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!