Saturday 19 July 2014

Celebration

Hello everyone, hope you are well and that if you are in the UK you haven't been too badly affected by the overnight storms.  A lot of rain here, but not too much thunder, which is a good thing as last October our street was hit by a lightening ball - it fried our PS3 and the internet router, and knocked out everyone's Sky boxes.  To add insult to thankfully no personal injury, it was just as the winner of Great British Bakeoff was being announced so we all missed the ending!

Anyway, yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, but we needed to be out and about.  Inhalers packed, we headed off to De Montfort Hall in Leicester

This is why it was so busy on a Friday afternoon:
 
 
Yes, we were there for a degree ceremony.  The hall itself is very grand inside...


Here is some detail of the Grand Organ...


The music was fantastic as we waited for the proceedings to begin...




The Senate looked very grand assembled on the stage (I actually performed on this very stage when I was 11!)


You might be thinking that I was there to see one of my kids graduate, but hopefully that will be in the next couple of years.  In fact I was returning to this stage, to collect this:


It was wonderful to be there with my husband and children, all of whom have supported, encouraged and put up with me whilst working on my degree.  I felt like they had all earned it too!  Not to mention friends who have had to put up with me not always being able to see them when I have been up to my neck in work and studying.  Just goes to show, one is "never too old" to achieve something new.  It was wonderful as well to see how many young people were there, picking up their first degrees, just starting out on exciting new journeys. 

So, at the moment I am enjoying having a bit more time to myself, but by the autumn, if times past are anything to go by,  I know I will be looking for something else to study.  But in the meantime, just enjoying the memory of yesterday - still can't believe that I did it!!

Have a lovely weekend, Helenxx

11 comments:

  1. Huge congratulations Helen, all that hard work paid off. Now no more studying for a while, I need to see my bestest occasionally, and besides, you wouldn't want to be friends with me if you were a doctor.... Hope your feeling much better in yourself, now you are able to relax and rest ♥♥♥Suexxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Congratulations!! YOU GO GIRL!! Since I am a current student I know how hard you worked your butt off to get that degree!!! You are my hero :)
    Much love to you,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big congrats to you Helen, you are amazing!!!!! And you should be very proud of yourself, I am.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and what a fun post.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news! Congratulations and a huge well done to you, Helen!
    Now you can really relax and enjoy your summer :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Massive congratulations, doing that with a family is really something else.
    Gillxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congratulations to you, Helen, and how wonderful that all your family could be there to support you and then enjoy the occasion with you - they must be so proud of your achievement! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on your huge accomplishment! You are all winners in your family! You must be SO proud! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen! I am so happy for you! Congratulations from me, too! The university hall was a grand background for your grand celebration...I can imagine the music from the magnificent pipe organ was amazing! Wishing you rest and renewal, before you tackle your next degree :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen, in answer to the question on size 10 cotton, I use Cebelia crochet cotton size 10 from here http://www.stitchaholics.net/shop/products.php?c=3109 She's really helpful and you can get it in lots of colours. nice to use too.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Helen....such a wonderful reward for what I know will have been a great many long hours of study and hard work. I am sure your family must be really proud of you.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!